Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Boston Creme Pie

I'm going to make a list of things I want to do before I have kids. Now, I am nowhere near having kids right now but I really like the idea of making a list of things I want to do before I give up my life and personal dreams for kids (that's sounds bitter... it's not meant to be). So the first thing on my list is to take a baking class. I love to bake and always have. In particular, I really want to learn how to decorate things. I want to make beautiful frosting flowers and learn how to use fondue on a cake. I might try to adventure on my own a bit. 

Speaking of baking, I made my boyfriend Boston Creme Pie for Valentine's Day. It's his favorite kind of dessert. It was quite an adventure. It started with dancing to Edward Shape and The Magnetic Zeros. No really, it did - look: 


                                            





After dancing for way too long, it was time to stop procrastinating and start baking! This is the recipe I used: Boston Creme Pie . It's from Kraft foods which makes it sketch. I usually like to go all out (everything from scratch) when I bake but today I didn't have much time. This recipe uses things like boxed cake mix, instant vanilla pudding, and cool whip. It's strange to bake with things that don't come in a 2 lb bag. 

It appeared super simple... but of course I make everything complicated: 


Oops! That's not suppose to happen.... BUT thankfully, I baked two 9-inch cakes even though the recipe calls for one (I almost didn't notice this). 

Problem areas that I need to work on for next time: 
  • Cutting cake layers evenly
  • Un-lumpy frosting (sorry boyfriend)
  • Decorating 
  • Making my own decorating frosting

But after all those mishaps - it still turned out pretty darn good. It's not perfect but I know he'll love it. 


I dyed the creme in the middle pink and put a heart on it for Valentine's day. So there it is, my first Boston Creme Pie. 

Now, I need to go buy more baking supplies. Actually, I need to save up for baking supplies and then take a class. If anybody knows of good places to purchase baking supplies, let me know. Meijer (local grocery store) doesn't have much. 

3 comments:

msm said...

Cute! How did it taste?

Nick Nelson said...

And love it I did! Thank you so much darling. It was a wonderful surprise and absolutely delicious. You are such a great baker and the best girlfriend ever! :)

annethel said...

Micaela - It tasted awesome! I was quite surprised.