Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fairy Falls

I had the day off and I had to get out of the Canyon area and do something. My options were:
1) Go to West Yellowstone and order some pizza
2) Go to Cody and see the new X-men movie
3) Convince my friends to go to on a hike with me on their 5 hour break

After I checked my bank account, I went with #3. So, we (John, Paolo, and I) ate a quick dinner and headed to Fairy Falls. It's a 5.2 mile hike round trip to a beautiful waterfall that drops about 200 ft to a glimmering pool of water. It claimed the name "Fairy Falls" because the first visitors claimed to see dancing fairies as the water trickled down the cave-like cliff.


I was trying to be sly and take a candid photo of the boys walking on the trail but they noticed and started marching in unison. I really like hiking with them because they are very tall (I think John is 6'3") and I am average. It's kind of a fun feeling, I'm starting to see them as older brothers that are always goofing off.

Here are some cheesy pictures of me and the falls:


While I was wondering around and exploring, I realized the boys were not near me or the falls. Then I found them on the mountain side:

Can you find them?
Clue: Paolo is wearing black and John is wearing brown

We didn't run into any bears but we did see a lot of chipmunks and a couple bison:



As we were driving back and approaching Canyon Village - there was an ELK invasion! There were over 30 elk crossing the road right in front of us - single file style. It was beautiful.


All those tiny dots in the last photo are Elk.

I was really happy with the hike. Last time I was in Yellowstone, I weighed over 200 pounds. I am in much better shape now and I can tell. As I was typing the information about Fairy Falls, I couldn't believe that it was 5.2 miles. That is quite a distance for a hike that wasn't really planned ahead of time. We walked pretty fast and I never needed to stop to catch my breath - it was a great feeling.

Awww yeah! Feeling good and healthy!

1 comment:

Fairy Falls said...

As I was looking for Fairy Falls in Japan, I also found this.. Nice falls, as nice as the Fairy Falls I had been looking for..