Saturday, May 28, 2011

My First Day Off

Today was my first day off. I have been dying to go hiking since about 3 years ago. Since Canyon (where I live) just got 4 inches of snow, I decided to try Old Faithful (lower in elevation). I lived at Old Faithful in 2008 and my favorite hike in that area was Fern Cascades. It's actually a really lame hike but I liked it because it was a place I could go to be alone and think. So, today was I was really excited to hike it. Since I was by myself, I stopped at the Ranger's Station and ask if there had been any recent bear sightings in the Fern Cascades area. There hasn't been - so I was good to go. I set off all excited and nervous. . .

only to get to the trail and it looked like this:

Damn it!

Since I have been dying to hike, I tried it anyways. The first 10 feet weren't bad. There were lots of dead trees that I could climb on and if I avoided the really deep snow (over 5 ft) I would be okay. The snow was so compact that I was able to walk gracefully on top of it - until I fell in and was waist deep in snow.


I was pretty bummed so I walked over to Old Faithful to watch the infamous geyser go off.


Yeah. . . like Mt. Rushmore it was foggy. But unlike Mt. Rushmore, it was freezing and snowy. Gosh, I'm complaining a lot. I'm sorry (not really). I want me some sunshine!

Despite the absence of sunshine, driving through Yellowstone is one of my favorite things to do. Here is a mini collage:


Things to focus on (left to right):
Curvy roads, Bison jam, Snow higher than my car, Winter wonderland


THEN, a miracle happened!!!! SUNSHINE!!

It was beautiful. I smiled.


I got back to Canyon early so I decided to head out to Hayden Valley to search out some wildlife. I was successful and found a grizzly and two cubs.


I sat in my car for about an hour and just watched them. It was relaxing. . . . until my car wouldn't start. I killed the battery - oops. I hitched a ride back home and now my honda sits all alone with some grizzlies.*

It was a really good day off. Despite the snow, I still love Yellowstone. I am bummed that I can't go hiking but the snow will be gone soon. Besides, there is a lot of other things to do other than hike - like my job.



*Dear Mom, don't worry - the ride I hitched was with some other employees and my friend Paolo is going to help me jump it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Ashley Ruth said...

Hey! It's Ashley...I'm following you now so I can live vicariously through you and your adventures. :) I have just decided to start blogging again, and this is my blogger name.

I'm already jealous. Except I feel you on the lack of sunshine...this past week was particularly depressing back home here in MI. But you got me beat on the wildlife...the only wildlife I saw this week was an ugly possum scurrying across Union on my way to work one morning.

Can't want to read more!