Friday, April 3, 2009

This world is going to end in one big swoosh of technology overload. 

    I've been thinking a lot recently about how fast technology is moving and how we have never seen anything like it. There are some major advantages to technology but some major disadvantages that everybody seems to overlook. 
    Humans have been around for a long time (5,000 - 1,000,000 years), and only in past 100 years have we had cars, tractors, recordable music, grocery stores, etc. And only in past 10 years things like cell-phones, lap-tops, i-pods, internet, and credit cards have gotten really popular. It's just blowing my mind. 200 years ago if you wanted to contact somebody in another country it would take months, perhaps years. Now, we can just hop onto skype and have free face to face conversation. Less then 5 years ago, most things were done through postal mail, now almost everything is done through e-mail. It's just boggles my mind how fast everything is today. If my computer freezes for a second, I get frustrated. For a second peoples! 
     One of the main advantages of technology is all the information at our fingertips. Literally, with the click of a button I can know anything that I want. I just have to google it. Do you realize how crazy and wild this is!!? If I was a college student 10 years ago, I would have to go to the library, and open books to find information. But now, within seconds, literally seconds, I can research anything. 
    I don't know man. This is just something I've had on my mind recently. It's bugging me too. I think technology is a great great luxury, but this is getting out of hand. I think we (america) needs to get back to the basics, and things that are really important and really needed. Like . . . agriculture! I have no idea how to farm or make food. This scares me. Most of my friends don't know either. I could look it up on the internet, but what's the point when I can just go to the grocery store. I don't know, I guess what I'm trying to say is; we (all people) use to have to work for food, like literally work in the fields or manage fields for food. Now, we still work for food, but we just work technology jobs. Is this okay? I don' t know. Technology just seems so unneeded to me. 
    I realized I said a lot of generalized statements. I guess my point is this; I'm just freaking out how fast our technology is moving and how much time we spend on it when we could be doing other things that absolutely needed.
 
ahhh!

1 comment:

Des said...

I am so happy to have read this post! I agree 100%!!!
Technology freaks me out! I hate it. I only got a cell 2 years ago and still use just a basic phone to call people. I hate the iphone & phones like that.
I think technology is going way too far. I don't know if you heard about scientists trying to make a star...on earth! It failed and they are trying it again.
Why would you make a star on earth? How does that sound like a good idea?
And they just created a new species. Why are these things necessary?
I think the advances are going too far and becoming too ridiculous & unnecessary.
I use my computer to watch movies and go on fb or my blog. I don't like all these fancy technologies.
It freaks me out and I am very scared for what will happen in the next few years.