Monday, May 23, 2011

My Lonely 26 Hour Road Trip Out West

I drove (well over) 26 hours to get to Yellowstone National Park. I am working here for the summer as a Resident Coordinator (like an RA) of one of the staff dorms. I drove by myself and this was my adventure. It began in Chicago at Rita and Gerard's - no pictures (sad face). Then, it went to Minnesota - where I stayed at Rita's parents house.

They were very nice people and let me plant soybean seeds (okay, really I just rode in the tracker).


They were so nice that while I was working hard planting soy bean seeds, they fixed my flappy bumper! No more flappy bumper!


I love Moosejaw (as in the mountaineering company). So, I had to stop for lunch at this Moosejaw (as in the pizza and beer company). It was the first time I ate at a sit down restaurant by myself. It wasn't so bad. I did get a little lonely. . .



Of course, what's a trip out west without stopping at Corn Palace?
(In case you were wondering, I had to ask the world's most interesting teenager to take that photo of me - I hate asking strangers to take photos me... but I HAD to get my picture next to an ear of corn taller than me.) 



I saw a sign for the Badlands National Park. I wasn't planing on going but then I figured "heck! Why not?" So I paid the hefty $15 entrance fee and ventured to the unknown.


I'm so glad I did! It was amazing - a whole new world.


Part of the reason I was thinking of not going was because it was raining and miserable out. Here is my proof:


This sign really scared me as I walked a path into the middle of nowhere (check out the mountains in the back):


The infamous WALL DRUG:


The adventure continued to Devils Tower. This is something I have always wanted to see. It's a giant rock formation that jets up from the ground. Native Americans think it's spiritual.


See? Absolutely crazy looking!


The sad part of traveling alone is nobody can take your picture. There weren't many strangers either. Here is a failed picture of me and Devils Tower.


Mt. Rushmore was also an epic failure:


Finally, I knew I was getting close when I saw these kinds of signs (which, make me very nervous):



And I saw my first BISON (my favorite animal):


I made it to Yellowstone and ordered a pizza because I was hungry. I made three friends while I waited for it to cook and got a free liter of Diet Coke (I love it out here).


The next day, I went to orientation and eventually made it to my new home. This is my backyard:


Okay, I lied. That is not my backyard but it is REALLY close - 3/4 of mile walk with a cool boulder on the way:


This is my real backyard:

Yes, I took that today (about an hour ago) and yes there is that much snow... on May 26. Ugg.

But alas, I am here and happy. I love it here. I love breathing the mountain air and friendly people. I love my job and my co-workers. I love that tomorrow is my day off and I have many awesome options of places I could go. I could go see Old Faithful or go white water rafting or hike the canyon or read or see a grizzly. Yipps! I love it here.

No comments: